Skip to Main Content

Single Subject Credential

In California a person studying to be a high school teacher will work toward obtaining a Single Subject credential. This credential allows you to teach the subject matter which you have taken for your major.

Concordia has 9 majors that correlate to Single Subject credentials authorized by the state of California. The majors offered by Concordia University appropriate for single subject credentials are:

To obtain your credential you will pursue one of the above majors at CUI, finish the Credential Coursework, and pass the state required tests including the California Subject Examination Test (CSET) for your major.

Credential coursework can be done as part of your undergraduate degree meaning you can finish your bachelor’s degree and credential at the same time. Some universities have this as a “blended” program. We think it is just good sense. It will take 4, 4.5, or 5 years depending on the pace you set for becoming a teacher.

If you want to teach in a Lutheran school you can obtain your Lutheran Teaching Certificate through Concordia University. This can be done with your undergraduate major and credential coursework.

Admission to the Teacher Education program comes in two parts. You must first be accepted as a student through the University Admissions application process. A separate application for the School of Education will be done once you have started into the introductory education classes.

The State of California requires that all candidates for teacher credentials complete and pass state approved tests and assessments before certification no matter which school you attend. For more information on these tests, click on this link.

Why get your credential at CUI?

Back to top