Master of Arts in International Studies
Live, work and study in China...while earning your Master of Arts in International Studies—in just one year!
Unique educational experience. The MA in International Studies is an accelerated graduate degree program that will cultivate your academic, cultural, research, and language skills through practical, lived experience in China. After a summer of intensive courses at our Irvine campus or through our online platform, you will travel overseas and immediately start living, working, and studying in China. Our program allows you to choose from three concentrations: International Business, International Education, and International Development. Online components of the curriculum allow for flexibility while you are living and working in China.
- Work in China. The MAIS program prepares you to work or intern in China, conduct research for your capstone project, and negotiate living on your own in a new culture. Choose from 3 concentrations and a range of work, study, teaching or internship options to best meet your career goals! This is truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live in the most important historical, cultural, and financial cities in China—while earning your MA!
- Personal interaction with faculty. Our faculty and staff come from diverse backgrounds and fields. What they all share is real-world experience, extraordinary expertise, a faith-based perspective, and a commitment to your success. You will have the option to take the face-to-face summer classes with your professors in Irvine and receive personal supervision and support from our representative office in Shanghai. When it comes time to write your thesis, you will work one-on-one with a faculty thesis advisor who will provide oversight, counsel, and collaboration in this culminating project of your MAIS experience. Students who choose to enroll in the Language & Internship option under the International Business (IB) concentration will take classes at East China Normal University, with courses overseen by our Mandarin professor and credits granted by Concordia University Irvine.
- Globalize your resume. The MAIS program exemplifies Concordia’s mission as a Christian university by creating unique opportunities to engage people and cultures worldwide. While earning your degree you will build personal relationships, network with your peers and local professionals, learn a new language and culture, develop an understanding of how international relations work, visit ancient and cultural wonders, and discover and pursue new interests, passions, and dreams.
- Financial benefits and financial aid. A Master of Arts in International Studies from Concordia University Irvine is one of the only graduate studies programs where you get paid while earning your master's degree. Students who teach English will be provided with a work visa, monthly salary plus housing or housing allowance, and airfare reimbursed by your employer in China. International Business students who pursue the Language & Internship option will be provided with a student visa, with other expenses built into the financial aid package. Tuition for the MAIS is competitively priced at $635/unit. All enrolled students will receive a $1,000 scholarship for the first summer semester. Financial aid is available, and military veterans will benefit from Concordia University's status as a Post 9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon institution. Entering students with a teaching credential, equivalent certification and teaching background, or sufficient Mandarin can test out of courses and save on overall tuition costs.
- No GRE/GMAT or prior Mandarin language skills required. Ideal applicants to this program are those who desire to teach in new cultural settings; are prepared to learn, serve, and lead; and possess cultural sensitivity, responsibility, diligence, resilience, independence, and ethical character. You must be a native English speaker and hold a bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75 before the start of the cohort, which takes place in June of every year. Native English proficiency is not required if you choose to be enrolled in the Language & Internship option under the IB concentration.
- Great flexibility to complete the program. During the first summer semester, you have the option to complete the first summer semester either on campus or online. With our excellent online learning platform and support, either option will allow you to engage fully with both your peers, your professors and the supporting offices.
- Very affordable. The paid teaching position in China concurrent with your enrollment in the program allows you have a monthly salary and other living accommodations while you are earning your master’s degree, which reduces significantly your net program costs.
MAIS + MBA
Another unique opportunity for our students studying International Business is the ability to combine the Master of Arts in International Studies degree with a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. This joint degree program will count up to 16 units of coursework completed in the MAIS program toward completion of an MBA degree. If you are interested in international business and studying abroad, our program will allow you to receive dual diplomas in as little as two years of full-time study.
For more information about the Master of Arts in International Studies at Concordia University Irvine, please fill out our inquiry form or contact our Program Coordinator, Marsha Castillo, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (949) 214-3485.