To earn your Master’s in Counseling: Clinical Mental Health degree, you’ll be taking 60 units of classes and select which 6 units of electives are the best fit for you. For each 7-week course, you’ll be supported through virtual classroom sessions with your professors and classmates, and through experientially-focused assignments that connect you with fellow students.
Learning activities will involve approximately 13 to 16 hours of the student's time investment each week. It is recommended that students working full time take only one course at a time.
This program can lead to licensure in most states. It is the sole responsibility of the student, not the program, to obtain information regarding prerequisites for licensure as outlined by their particular state board of counseling. To obtain your state’s web address, view State Licensure Boards.
- COUN 600: Personal Development Skills Process Group *(3 units)
- COUN 601: Human Growth and Development * (3 units)
- COUN 602: Theories of Counseling * (3 units)
- COUN 603: Clinical Psychopathology and Diagnosis * (3 units)
- COUN 604 : Theory and Practice of Groups * (3 units)
- COUN 605: Legal, Ethical and Professional Issues * (3 units)
- COUN 607: Social and Cultural Foundations * (3 units)
- COUN 609: Theory and Practice of Assessment * (3 units)
- COUN 610: Townsend Model Theory and Application (3 units)
- COUN 611: Foundations of Crisis and Trauma Counseling * (3 units)
- COUN 612: Career and Lifestyle Development * (3 units)
- COUN 613: Foundations of Addiction Counseling * (3 units)
- COUN 614: Methods and Practice of Research and Evaluation * (3 units)
- COUN 633: Counseling Skills and Techniques * (3 units)
Clinical Mental Health Emphasis
- COUN 606: Foundations and Contextual Dimensions of Mental Health Counseling * (3 units)
- COUN 640: Supervised Practicum * (3 units)
- COUN 641: Supervised Internship I * (3 units)
- COUN 642: Supervised Internship II * (3 units)
Choose at least 6 units from the following courses:
- COUN 608: Models and Application of Integration (3 units)
- COUN 621: Psychopharmacology* (3 units)
- COUN 622: Foundations of Spiritual Formation and Direction (3 units)
- COUN 623: Foundations of Marriage and Family Therapy (3 units)
- COUN 624: Level I Clinical Training: Gottman Method Couples Therapy (3 units)
- COUN 625: Level II Clinical Training: Gottman Method Couples Therapy (3 units)
- COUN 626: Foundations of Play Therapy (3 units)
- COUN 627: Human Sexuality* (3 units)
- COUN 643: Supervised Internship III (3 units)
- EXCC 612: Executive Coaching and Character Development (3 units)
- EXCC 613: Developing the Executive Coaching Relationship (3 units)
- EXCC 617: Advanced Consultation Skills (3 units)
*These 17 courses must be completed as a part of California LPCC Licensure.
For course descriptions, please see the Academic Catalog.