Skip to Main Content

COVID-19 Update for CAPS

As our campus continues to monitor and respond to developments surrounding COVID-19, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is committed to serving our students and providing quality care consistent with the guidelines around this evolving situation.

CAPS will not be providing face-to-face counseling at this time. However, if you are interested in counseling, we are offering services via telehealth for those students who are currently in the state of California. Please email the Wellness Center at [email protected] if you are interested and we would be glad to discuss the option for telehealth services based on availability and appropriateness of care.

If this is a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. If this is a crisis or urgent concern, please call the National Suicide Prevention Line at (800)273-8255 or use the crisis text line by texting “help” to 741-741.

What is CAPS?

CAPS is a collaborative process that involves the development of a unique, confidential relationship. The counselor acts as a facilitator in helping the client to understand more accurately him/herself and the world around him/her. The primary activity of the professional counseling service is to provide ongoing individual and group counseling.

Why do students seek CAPS?

Students seek therapy for a variety of reasons such as low self-confidence; grief and loss; relationship issues; depression; anxiety; self-defeating behaviors (i.e. eating disorders etc.); controlling usage of alcohol and drugs; life purpose and direction; family conflict and assistance in making better decisions.

Services offered include:

Limited services currently available - please see COVID-19 update at the top.

  • Informal counseling
  • Groups and Workshops
  • Individual Therapy: Many students meet with the therapist, one-to-one, usually weekly, to work through personal concerns.
  • Crisis Counseling: At times a student is experiencing personal issues that need immediate assistance.
  • Ongoing education through lectures and seminars.
  • Referrals: Provide resources for off-campus groups, medical or psychiatric services that offer more or different services from those available at Concordia University.

Is it confidential?

CAPS is confidential. No information can be released without the written consent of the student.  Exceptions required by law include reporting threats of suicide or homicide, or suspected child abuse, etc.

Where is the Psychological Counseling Center located?

The Counseling Center is located in the Wellness Center which can be found in the lower level of the Student Union building.

How do you make an appointment with a therapist?

Please email [email protected] or call (949) 214-3102 during business hours.

Is there a charge for therapy sessions?

There is a $5 session fee for full-time undergraduate students. There is a fee of $10.00 per therapy session for part-time and graduate students. Therapy sessions are not billed to health insurance. However, scholarships are available based on individual financial needs. No one will be turned away for financial issues. Students must be currently enrolled in 6 units or more to be eligible for services.

Back to top