This week it is a treat to talk to the head coach at Cerritos College, their men’s and women’s Track & Field program, as well as their Cross Country programs. As a Track & Field athlete himself for Cerritos, he was a two-time State Champion in the Decathlon. He went on to be a two-time All-American at Long Beach State and compete in the 2008 Olympic Team trials. He’s had a few coaching stops before landing at Cerritos College, going into now his 9th season as the head coach, and, oh yeah, he earned his Master's degree from Concordia University Irvine in their Master's in Coaching & Athletics Administration program. He’s part of the faculty now, so there's lots to talk about with our guest Chris Richardson.
- Coaching during a pandemic
- On being a three-star athlete at Downey High School
- How Chris fell into coaching
- Mentors who impacted Chris along the way
- What does a Track & Field coach actually do on the day of a race?
- How we can recognize Track & Field in the states with the same attention it garners around the world
- Why Community Colleges are critical stepping stones that can change a person’s life
- Why a community of support is so critical to your graduate education