CUI students, are you interested in advocating for your fellow CUI students? Are you one of the first in your family to go to college (first-generation)? What if you could pay it forward to future first-gen college graduates, and network with community leaders at the same time?
CUI faculty and staff, do you know first-generation students who would make great advocates on behalf of their fellow first-gen classmates, and are willing to help others through their first-gen college journey?
CUI’s Hispanic Leadership Advisory Council (HLAC) is looking for two students to join the Council. Since 2017, high-profile community leaders have been volunteering their time on the HLAC with one goal in mind: to help CUI become a thriving designated Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). Having reached the required threshold of at least 25 percent of undergraduate students identifying as Hispanic or Latino, CUI’s HSI Task Force realizes it’s time to broaden membership on this Council and have student voices. Two (2) new seats, to be filled by CUI undergraduate students, have been added. Requirements and expectations include:
- Must be a currently enrolled freshman, sophomore or junior
- Have the ability to attend four meetings per calendar year (virtual for now; once things open up, we’ll return to breakfast and lunch meetings on campus but you can continue virtually if you prefer)
- Can bring forth concerns of CUI students, primarily first-generation students from different backgrounds
- Can serve as a bridge between the HSI Task Force and the HLAC with CUI leadership from student body and student clubs
- Desired, not required: a first-generation student (meaning neither parent earned a BA college degree in the U.S.) of primarily Hispanic background
- Can serve a two-year term (over two academic years)
- Can begin the term May 2021.
If this describes you, send your name, year, major/minor, and the reason for wanting to volunteer (5-9 sentences to both [email protected] and [email protected]. If this describes students you know, send the same information above, and the reason for nominating them to the same emails. Feel free to send questions to the same emails.