The Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program at Concordia University Irvine aspires to educate and prepare students for productive leadership in the health services industry on a local and national scale. Focused on the early careerist, the program provides a solid foundation of knowledge and practical skills, combined with innovative learning opportunities that are tested and enhanced by experiential partnerships within the health services community. The MHA program teaches new professionals to apply ethics-based leadership principles and project management skills as Christian-valued leaders. Graduates can take their first steps into leadership roles, or advance in their current positions in the healthcare industry.
Concordia University Irvine’s Master of Healthcare Administration program seeks to be progressive, relevant, flexible, and recognized by the community as a leader in the delivery of healthcare administration. Through collaboration and innovation, our faculty, staff, students, alumni, and university partners will help influence the future healthcare environment across a variety of sectors in the healthcare industry.
The following core values of the Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program at Concordia University Irvine are integrated throughout our curriculum and program activities.
Program Learning Outcomes and Competencies
Communication and Relationship Management
Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, establish and maintain relationships, and facilitate constructive interactions with individuals and groups in the healthcare setting.
- Build collaborative relationships
- Communicate organizational mission, vision, objectives and priorities
- Use factual data to produce and deliver credible and understandable reports
- Facilitate group dynamics, process, meetings and discussions
Demonstrate the ability to inspire individual and organizational excellence, create a shared vision and successfully manage change to attain the organization’s strategic ends and successful performance.
- Apply leadership theory and situational applications
- Create an organizational climate that encourages teamwork
- Create an organizational culture that values and supports diversity
- Establish a compelling organizational vision and goals
- Promote and manage change
Demonstrate an alignment of personal and organizational conduct with ethical and professional standards that include a responsibility to the patient and community, a service orientation, and a commitment to lifelong learning and improvement.
- Apply organizational business and personal ethics
- Apply professional standards and codes of ethical behavior
- Acquire and stay current with the professional body of knowledge
- Participate in community service
Knowledge of Healthcare Environment
Demonstrate an understanding of the healthcare system and the environment in which healthcare managers and providers function.
- Distinguish healthcare and medical terminology
- Explain levels of healthcare along the continuum of care
- Distinguish between the healthcare sectors
- Examine workforce issues
- Value the patient’s perspective (e.g., cultural differences, expectations)
- Appraise healthcare trends
Business Skills and Knowledge
Integrate scholarly research, critical thinking, analysis, problem-solving, and business principles to proactively address opportunities and issues in the healthcare environment.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analysis
- Seek information from a variety of sources
- Apply financial management and analysis principles
- Identify potential impacts and consequences of human resources
- Interpret and integrate federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Apply strategic planning processes development and implementation
- Demonstrate marketing plan development
- Apply risk management principles and programs
- Describe quality Improvement theories and frameworks
- Apply data analysis, including manipulation, understanding of and ability to explain data
Degree Completion & Graduation Rates
In demonstration of the Program Learning Outcomes and Competencies, the MHA program makes available the following completion rates for the past academic years and percent of students employed within 90 days of graduation. Additional outcomes data, collected annually by CAHME, can be found on the CAHME Accredited Program page.
|2018 - 2019
|2019 – 2020
|2020 - 2021
|2021 - 2022
|2022 - 2023
||% of Graduates who were Working or
have been Placed within 90 days of
|2020 - 2021
|2021 - 2022
|2022 - 2023
*Students who continued enrollment past the first semester
**Degree completed within time limit
97% of the 2022-2023 graduates were either already employed in healthcare or found employment within the healthcare sector within 90 days of graduation.
(Source: Alumni Survey 2022-2023)