ABSN Requirements for Admission
Concordia University Irvine’s Accelerated BSN program has several ABSN requirements for incoming students. If you’re interested in receiving your 15-month accelerated nursing education at Concordia, you can start by reviewing the criteria and steps below.
This is the general profile of successful candidates in the past.
Download International Application ($150 application fee)
Steps in the Admission Process
Here is a step-by-step breakdown of the process of applying to the Accelerated BSN program. If you have any questions about Concordia’s ABSN program, reach out to an admissions counselor to receive personalized guidance.
- Contact an admissions counselor to evaluate your academic background, decide on a planned start date, and make a prerequisite completion plan.
- Finish any needed prerequisites and meet all GPA and course requirements.
- Apply for admission by completing the online application and mailing all supplemental documentation to the Concordia admissions office (See full list of documentation requirements below).
- Finish the two remaining prerequisite courses (if incomplete when you applied) and send updated transcript to Concordia.
- If asked to interview, complete the Concordia admissions interview process.
Our admissions counselors are committed to helping you navigate your pre-nursing school journey. They are a resource for you, and you can reach out to them at any point in the process. When you contact our admission office, you’ll be matched with a counselor, and that person will help you in the following ways:
- Advise you on the ABSN requirements and your eligibility for the program.
- Answer your questions about the admissions process or the ABSN program.
- Help you plan a start date.
- Determine if any of your prior courses meet our prerequisite requirements, and create a prerequisite completion plan.
- Assist with completing your ABSN application and submitting documentation.
Contact our admissions counselors today to learn more about the ABSN application process. Concordia is dedicated to guiding you along your journey to a meaningful career in nursing.
ABSN Admission Requirements
- ABSN applicants must have completed a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts in any discipline or a minimum of 65 non-nursing college credits from a regionally accredited institution. Students will be able to transfer a maximum of seventy five (75) units total from a previous degree, including pre-requisite courses.
- Minimum required cumulative GPA is 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale). Cumulative GPA refers to the combination of bachelor degree and classes taken after degree completion.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed with a minimum cumulative GPA of B (3.0) or higher and a "C" or better must be earned in each course, except the science courses (see below). Complete list of pre-classes is listed here.
- Each science prerequisite class with lab must be completed with grade “B-” or higher. Must have been completed within the last five years of intended admission term. Of the four science prerequisite courses only two of them can be repeated once.
- Completion of a minimum of 100 hours of qualifying patient care experiences. Examples (but not limited to): Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), COPE Health Scholar/Clinical Care Extender, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Medical Assistant (back office), Home Health Aide, Physical Therapy (PT) Aide.
- Submit an online application to the ABSN program. All supporting documents, as listed on the application checklist, must be submitted by the application deadline.
- Admission interviews are required and by invitation only.
Accelerated BSN (ABSN) Required Supporting Documentations
ABSN Prerequisite Courses
With the exception of Foundation in Christian Theology and New Testament study, students may transfer all required pre-requisite units from any regionally accredited institution*. All science classes must also include a laboratory portion and be completed within 5 years of intended admission term. Online science classes that solely rely on virtual laboratories will not be accepted. However, online science classes that incorporate home-kit laboratories are acceptable. View the complete list of accelerated nursing program prerequisites here.
Applicants are allowed to have a maximum of three (3) classes in-progress at the time of application with proof of enrollment (i.e. payment receipt and/or unofficial transcripts).
*Coursework will be evaluated for transferability at the time of application.
ABSN Program Admission Deadline*
The ABSN program admits students three times per year: Spring, Summer, and Fall terms. Nursing admissions will be transitioning to the rolling admission model starting with the Summer 2024 cohort.
Completed applications will be reviewed using the following guideline:
Intended term: Summer 2024 (Classes begins in May 2024)
- Application review starts: mid September 2023
- The last day to apply*: January 15, 2024
Intended term: Fall 2024 (Classes begins in August 2024)
- Application review starts: early November 2023
- The last day to apply*: June 1, 2024
* If last day to apply falls on a public holiday or weekend, the date will automatically be forwarded to the following business day.
Nursing Admission Contacts