Welcome to the Neighborhood!
The Global Village Living Learning Community is designed to provide a cross-cultural experience for students who are interested in broadening their understanding of world issues and cultures while living on the CUI campus. The Global Village will bring together international and domestic students to live and learn in a joint environment in CUI’s Lambda residence hall.
The Global Village setting is ideal for students planning on studying abroad, for international and exchange students, for students studying foreign languages, as well as any student who is interested in world affairs. Participants will be expected to actively participate in the organization and implementation of cross-cultural programming.
Learning Goals and Objectives
Through your active participation in the Global Village Living Learning Community, you will achieve the following goals.
Academic goals, objectives, and learning outcomes will be outlined in the course syllabus as determined by the Faculty in Residence, or professor designing the course.
Community Development Goals:
- Be familiar with intercultural communication and identify theories and understand how to apply them in different cultures.
- Lead at least one Global Village meeting by introducing cultural aspects of your culture, identity and/or experiences.
- Explore how to reach out to the CUI community and create a substantive event related to culture and global awareness.
- Cultivate a sense of global citizenship as an individual, a house community and beyond; broaden your multicultural competency.
Activities Will Include:
- Global Village fall orientation before the start of classes.
- Official welcome and farewell events for residents.
- Dinners with faculty members to discuss global issues.
- Celebrating international holidays.
- Attending educational presentations on working and studying in other countries.
- Attending cultural theatrical performances and film screenings.
- Discussions and interactions with various foreign language departments.
- Foreign/exotic food nights.
- International film screenings.
- Community service activities.
- “My Global Journey” presentation at the end of the semester.