Concordia provides scholarships for talented jazz improvisors. Students with jazz scholarships are required to also perform in another main ensemble.
In person (preferred):
- Perform a prepared jazz standard with "play along" CD accompaniment. The performance should include the head and several improvised choruses. You are responsible for bringing the "play along" CD (stereo will be provided).
- Perform a prepared jazz etude or tune that demonstrates your technical ability. Read from a notated part.
- Sightread a jazz tune.
- A brief interview.
By video (if the candidate is distant):
Upload your video to a video hosting site (like YouTube) and email the link(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org (do not attach videos to emails).
- Record a prepared jazz standard with "play along" CD accompaniment or live accompaniment that includes the head and several improvised choruses. Performance videos of your work in a jazz combo or jazz band are allowed, as long as they are edited into a short segment that demonstrates your solo and improvisation skills.
- Record a prepared jazz etude or tune that demonstrates your technical ability. Read from a notated part.
- If a jazz tune excerpt is provided in advance, include a recording of it.
- Please make a few comments - introduce yourself, share your goals, why you are applying to Concordia, etc.
Mail to: The Music Department, Concorida University, 1530 Concordia West, Irvine, CA 92612
Questions about scheduling your audition? email@example.com (949)214-3419
For instrumental music information: firstname.lastname@example.org (949)214-3420