Outside Scholarships (Non-Concordia)
The Good News Foundation—a non-profit charity founded by the journalists of Los Angeles television news—will be awarding a $30,000 in academic scholarships this summer to qualified students. These scholarships are sponsored by our foundation and by the individuals who have been generous enough to lend their name including:
- The Ruth Ashton-Taylor Scholarship $5,000
- The Leslie Miller Scholarship(s) $10,000 X 2
- The Christine Devine Scholarship $2,000
- The Wendy Burch Scholarship $1,000
- The Jackie Johnson Scholarship $1,000
- The Fritz Coleman Scholarship $1,000
Completing one application will qualify student for consideration for all the scholarships we are offering. Our requirements for eligibility are outlined in the information sheet and can also be found:
Balboa Bay Republican Women Federated: $1000 academic scholarship to a qualified undergraduate currently attending college in Orange County. Download Application.
Bethesda Lutheran Scholarship: Lutheran students and seminarians preparing for careers that will enhance the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are invited to apply for Bethesda Lutheran Communities Student Scholastic and Service and Scholarships. Each year $10,000 is awarded in competitive scholarship monies. A committee of Bethesda Religious Life staff from across the country review applications and make final selections. Applicants must provide documentation of academic history, service hours in support of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and letters of recommendation. Deadline is Wednesday, April 17. Apply Online.
Lutheran Hour Ministries: The Missouri District of the Lutheran Laymen’s League offers grants to students from the Missouri District attending one of the Concordia Colleges or Universities, and who plan to go into full time church work. The grant is for one year and is renewable for each year for a minimum of $100 per year. Apply Online.
The South Wisconsin District LWML: Active female members of congregations of the S Wisconsin District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod who are residents of the SWD prior to college and are preparing for full-time service in the LCMS and will be or are in enrolled in an undergraduate program are eligible to apply. An applicant must be enrolled as an undergraduate at one of the educational institutions of the Synod for the 2013-2014 school year. (Full-time service in the church is defined as any position available through the Board of Assignments of the Synod.) Apply Online.
National Payday Scholarship: Any current or incoming student at an educational institution in the United States is eligible to submit an essay on the suggested topic and win the scholarship. Scholarship Award is $3000. (Deadline: July 31) Apply Online
2013 California Strawberry Scholarships Now Available! California Strawberry Scholarships are available for full-time enrollment at a college, university, community college, or accredited trade school. Applications can be submitted online. For more information, please contact Dyann Meschi. (Deadline: March 1, 2013)
LAGRANT Foundation Scholarship: Undergraduate (current freshman, sophomores, juniors and non-graduating seniors ONLY!) applicants meeting the criteria and completing the online application will be considered for The LAGRANT Foundation (TLF) scholarship in the amount of $5,000. Read the application criteria.
The Thermo Scientific Pierce Scholarship: Provides educational opportunities for future generations of scientists in the majors of Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related life science field.
The Asian Women in Business Scholarship Fund: Encourages and promotes exceptional Asian female students who have demonstrated scholarship, leadership, community service and/ or entrepreneurship.
Technology for Tuition Scholarship: A $1000 recurring scholarship available to all current and prospective students. Write a Blog post answering the question "Do you think increased DVR use will cut into TV advertising revenue?"
Wells Fargo College Steps Sweepstakes: Open to high school and college students. Random drawings for $1000.
Abbott and Fenner Business Consultants: The A&F Scholarships are available to all high school juniors and seniors as well as all students currently registered in any accredited post secondary institution (Deadline: June 15, 2012)
DegreeDirectory.org's Student Saver Scholarship: contest is currently open and students can enter through 12 noon PST on Wednesday, May 16, 2012. To enter, students must fill out a short form and answer this month's scholarship question: When selecting a college major, what sort of impact should potential earnings after college have on the decision? Why do you feel that way?
Charley Wootan Grant Program TG has provided $5 million in funding for need-based grants for the 2012-2013 academic year. TG's Board of Directors allocated $4 million to be awarded to students from Texas, and the remaining $1 million to students residing in other states. The grants are available to students pursuing undergraduate degrees or certificates, or enrolled in teacher certification programs. TG will award the one-year grants of up to $4,000 on a first-come, first-served basis. The funds must be used to pay for post secondary education. For more information and to download an application, visit the Charley Wootan Grant Program website at www.aie.org/wootan(Postmark deadline is May 1, 2012)
Entertainment Blogging Scholarship: $1,000 USDish scholarship. A reoccurring scholarship available to all current and prospective college students.
TruFit Good Citizens Scholarship: 40 awards! With a total prize allocation of $50,000, we are awarding (1) $5000 Grand Prize, (4) $2,500 Second Prizes, and (35) $1,000 Third Prizes. (Deadline: April 30)
CableTV.com Scholarship: A $1000 recurring scholarship available to all current and prospective college students. Write an essay regarding the psychological impact of TV. (Deadline: June 30)
Tuition Won't Stop Me Scholarship! Education-Portal.com is offering students a $1000 scholarship to help with their educational costs. All students have to do is fill out the Tuition Won't Stop Me scholarship entry form and answer our scholarship question: What cause(s) do you think college students should care about? Why? (Deadline: April 30)
Cerebral Palsy Scholarship Foundation! Our mission is to encourage and assist students with Cerebral Palsy to pursue college, university or vocational school education. This program is open to California residents, age 17 or older, with a diagnosis of Cerebral Palsy who will be attending an accredited undergraduate U.S. college, university or vocational school Fall 2012/Winter 2013.The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For the 2012/2013 academic year, Cerebral Palsy Scholarship Foundation is excited to offer two categories of scholarships: 1. for credit course work scholarship for full or part-time students- awards up to $2,500. 2. Scholarship for audit/non-credit course work- award up to $500; payment for one class. Scholarships will be awarded based on a combination of financial need, past academic performance, passion (as detailed by a 150 word or less essay) and other criteria such as personal challenges. (Deadline: May 15, 2012)
The BOTW Scholarship Program: Apply today for a college scholarship from Best of the Web! We are continually offering new scholarship programs and will be awarding tens of thousands of dollars in free scholarship money to students this year. US students who are 16 or older may be eligible to compete for these scholarships — high school students, two and four-year college students, grad school students, and adult learners are all invited to apply. (Deadline: May 31, 2012)
B.Davis Scholarship: AWARD VALUE: $1,000. This Scholarship is available to all high school juniors and seniors as well as all students currently registered in any post secondary institution. (Deadline: May 28, 2012)
Abbott and Fenner Scholarship Program: Abbott & Fenner Business Consultants are pleased to be able to continue with our scholarship program for the 5th year. We will be awarding up to $1,000 to the winner(s) each year. Students will submit an essay on the topic that appears on the scholarship page of our web site. (Deadline: June 15, 2012)
The California/Nevada/Hawaii (CNH) Forest Fire Council: is now accepting applications for three scholarships we are offering. We annually award three $1000 scholarships to support Wildland Fire Science students in their academic endeavors. We intend to support the education of these students with an emphasis on students that originate from the states of California, Nevada or Hawaii. The purpose of awarding these scholarships is to promote the practice and acceptance of professional Fire Science/Technology graduates into federal and state resource (fire) agencies workforce. It is our intention to assist fire science students to meet their educational goals financially and consider a career with federal or state fire management programs. (Deadline, Oct 1)
Saralu Belkofer Scholarship: for students with a learning disability. (Deadline, Dec 15)
Nursing Scholarship Program Offering Paid Tuition, Fees, Plus Salary and Benefits: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Nursing Scholarship Program (NSP) aims to help alleviate a critical shortage of registered nurses in the United States. The NSP provides scholarships to nursing students in exchange for a minimum two year full-time service commitment (or part-time equivalent), at an eligible health care facility with a critical shortage of nurses.
2011-12 NHSC Scholarship Program Application Now Available: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is now accepting applications for the 2011-12 National Health Services Corps (NHSC) Scholarship Program which provides students pursuing a career in primary care with education funding in exchange for practicing in areas with limited access to care after they graduate. Eligible students must submit the online application and all supporting documents by June 9 at 5:00 PM EDT.
Balboa Bay Republican Women, Federated: US citizen & a Republican, registered to vote, female, resident of Orange County, 3.0 GPA enrolled in a four year college or graduating High School senior. (Deadline: May 16, 2011)
Lutheran Women's Missionary League Scholarship: for members of the Florida-Georgia LCMS District (Deadline: June 1, 2011)
WyzAnt College Scholarships: Anyone who plans to be enrolled in a four year college or university sometime between August 1, 2011 and November 1, 2013 is encouraged to apply. This includes most high school sophomores through college juniors. (Deadline: May 1, 2011)
The Mary Blake Single Parent Nursing Scholarship is a scholarship contest with a one-time disbursement of $500.00 to the winner of an essay contest. In addition to having a completed application form approved by the posted terms of the contest and any additional stipulations offered by the review committee or the owners of this website, the winning entrant will supply an essay of at least 500 words describing why they are uniquely deserving of this award. (Deadline: Midnight, June 15, 2011 EST)
The Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church of North Minneapolis Scholarship: For members of congregations with the Minnesota South District of the LCMS who are undergraduates in their third and fourth year of study at an LCMS university. Also eligible are students enrolled in a post-baccalaureate program at an LCMS university. Application
Young Scientist Awards from Alzheimer's Association Orange County Chapter: Through the generosity of individual donors, the Alzheimer's Association Orange County Chapter has established a fund for Young Scientist Awards. The purpose of the Awards is to encourage scholars in their very early career years to pursue interests and investigations in the field of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias, and to promote the pursuit of research for younger students. Post doc and Graduate student applicants working in biomedical, clinical and psychosocial research with a dementia or basic science focus are encouraged to apply. Post doc candidates should be no more than four years post doc. High school and undergraduate students intending to pursue these fields are encouraged to apply.
Go! Study Abroad Scholarship: Both undergraduate and graduate students planning to go to any study abroad program. Frequently Asked Questions.
Sunkist A.W. Bodine-Sunkist Memorial Scholarship: The student and/or a member of the immediate family (parents/siblings/grandparents) must be, have been or currently be involved in California or Arizona agriculture (Deadline April 30). Click here for online application.
Zinch Super Student Stimulus Scholarship: U.S. students enrolled in college (Deadline December 31, 2011)
Scholarship Points Scholarship
: U.S. students currently enrolled in college (Deadline February 28, 2011)
College Prowler "No Essay" Scholarship
: U.S. students currently enrolled in college (Deadline February 28, 2011)
Cappax "I Don't Want to Pay for College" Scholarship
: U.S. students currently enrolled in college (Deadline February 28, 2011)
: for active female members of congregations of the South Wisconsin District of the LCMS (Deadline April 30, 2011)
: U.S. Students 13 years of age or older (Deadline, March 31, 2011)
Campus Discovery $2,500 ' Advice to Your High School Self" Scholarship
: U. S. citizens enrolled at (or recently graduated from) a 2 or 4 year college in the U.S. (Deadline July 31, 2011)
ACWA Scholarship Program: Investing in California's Water Future. For a full-time Junior or Senior studying a water-resources related field or discipline. Application deadline April 1.
ACWA Water Law and Policy Scholarship: Graduate student studying water law and policy or public administration. Application deadline April 1.
The Junior League of Orange County: The Junior League of Orange County, California, Inc., (JLOCC) is please to announce that we are seeking qualified applicants to compete for our annual Scholarship Award for the 2011-2012 academic year. This year up to $20,000 will be awarded to deserving students who are striving to pursue a college degree. Applications must be received by January 31, 2011. Contact the JLOCC Scholarship Chair, Karen Warren, at 949-261-0823 ext. 29 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information. Applications are available in the financial aid office.
USA Funds Scholarship: USA Funds will accept applications online beginning Dec. 15 for $1,500 scholarships to students through the USA Funds Access to Education Scholarships program. These scholarships will help low- and moderate-income students pay college expenses during the 2011-2012 academic year.
U.S. Bank Internet Scholarship Program: Available to high school seniors and college undergraduates.
Orange County Mensa Scholarship
Offered to Orange County residents currently enrolled and high school seniors.
The Print Interactive Radio and Television Educational Society is a nonprofit organization made up of community affairs directors from radio and television stations, representatives of print publications and public relations professionals from nonprofit agencies throughout Southern California. Scholarship applications can be downloaded from their website www.piratesla.org. Questions regarding this scholarship should be directed to Richard Guiss, Chairman, at 562-435-3411, ext. 267 or email@example.com. This scholarship is directed to students who are currently a sophomore or junior and who are majoring in communications, journalism, radio or television. Last day to submit an application is September 30, 2010.
Superpower Scholarship: U.S. students 13 years of age or older: Deadline to apply online June 30, 2010
Do-Over Scholarship: U.S. students 13 years of age or older: Deadline to apply online: August 31, 2010
Campus Discovery $5,000 Value of College Scholarship: U.S. citizens or legal residents: Deadline to apply online: January 31, 2011
Health Profession Education Foundation: For BSN students
Andre Sobel Award: For young survivors of a catastrophic illness, ages 12 to 21
Student Award Search Aid: For high school Juniors and Seniors, and currently enrolled undergraduate students
The American Institute of CPA's: Scholarship opportunities for minority students
The Gilman Scholarship: For eligible students participating in study abroad programs
Utah-Idaho LWML: For students who are in the Utah-Idaho LCMS District and are called workers
Hildegard Brown Scholarship: For members of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod at large
Katie Kranz Memorial Scholarship: For continuing undergraduate students who show an interest in both studying and eventually working in the field of disability services
Indian Health Services Scholarship: For BSN, American Indian and Alaska Native Students
A.W. Bodine-Sunkist Memorial Scholarship : For entering undergraduate students from an agricultural background
Education-Portal.com: For graduate and MBA students
Abbot and Fenner Scholarship Programs: For undergraduate Business students
Frances Crawford Marvin American Indian Scholarship: For a Native American enrolled full time in a college/university in the undergraduate or graduate level
American Indian Scholarship: For a Native American enrolled in vocational training or college/university in the undergraduate or graduate level
Deloras Jones RN Scholarship: For nursing students
BigSun Scholarship: For an Athlete
The Print Interactive Radio and Television Educational Society (PIRATES) For sophomores and juniors majoring in communications, journalism, radio or television.
Balboa Bay Republican Women, Federated Scholarship
Jane M. Klauseman Women In Business Scholarship
Bay Area Minority Law Student Scholarship
The Sallie Mae Fund sponsors several scholarship programs and supports hundreds of college scholarships. All of our programs are based on financial need, as The Fund seeks to bridge the dollar gap when no one else can. With an estimated $3 billion in private scholarships awarded nationally each year, The Fund aims to send the message that money is available to those who make the effort to apply. Since 2001, The Sallie Mae Fund has awarded more than $14.3 million in scholarships to more than 5,700 students.
Applicants should visit www.thesalliemaefund.org to review the different scholarship opportunities and to apply.
For the 2008–2009 academic year nearly $2 million in college scholarships were awarded to nearly 800 students nationwide.
Sallie Mae Fund Scholarship Programs include;
- American Dream Scholarship Program
- First in My Family Scholarship Program
- Unmet Need Scholarship Program
- The Sallie Mae 911 Education Fund
- Community College Transfer Program
- Writers of Passage Scholarship Program
Scholarship from "ScholarshipQuestHelper" ScholarshipQuestHelper has developed a website that is designed to offer tips and suggestions on how to approach the process of acquiring scholarships. The main purpose of this website is to assist students in their efforts to continue their education. Please visit their website at www.scholarshipquesthelper.com
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Education and Research Funding Opportunities for Undergraduate and Graduate Students, Postdoctoral Fellows and Faculty.
DHS Summer Research Team Program for Minority Serving Institutions
- Early career faculty teamed with undergraduate and graduate students
- Funding available for Summer 2009
- 10-week summer research experiences at DHS Centers of Excellence
- Stipends plus transportation expenses to/from the internship location for faculty and students
- Application Deadline: February 3, 2009
DHS Science and Technology Postdoctoral Fellowship Program
- Postdoctoral scientists and engineers
- 12-month research appointments at federal research facilities and DHS Centers of Excellence
- Stipends (Federal GS-12 Step 1 with locality pay) plus health insurance and travel reimbursement
- Application Deadline: Applications are accepted on a year-round basis
Questions regarding DHS Education Programs can be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although Concordia University does not award masters level scholarships there are many private scholarships available for studying abroad. These scholarships are not endorsed by Concordia University and may change without notice. Please contact the individual foundation or organization regarding the details of the scholarship and if you qualify.
- Fulbright Student Research Grants and Teaching Assistantships offers the US Student program for students who are citizens of the US, who have a bachelor's degree and who are thinking of studying, assistant-teaching English, or conducting research abroad.
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Language Study Abroad Students who are members of NSCS are eligible to apply for these awards for language study abroad.
- The Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship provides awards for study abroad, for US citizens who are receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application.
- National Security Education Program (NSEP) Scholarships are available for students studying less commonly taught languages and area/international studies.
- Foundation for Asia Pacific Education is an organization that gives scholarships in amounts ranging from $500-$3500 to study abroad in certain Asian countries.
- AAUW - American Association of University Women has helped more than 10,000 women through fellowships and grants from more than 130 countries break through barriers and pursue their dreams of obtaining graduate degrees or making an impact in their communities.
- Boren Awards for International Study Boren Fellowships provide up to $30,000 to U.S. graduate students to add an important international and language component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency.
- Institute of Current World Affairs Fellowships The Institute of Current World Affairs offers fellowships for self-designed independent study in a foreign destination. Applicants must have a good command of written and spoken English. Those interested should write to the Executive Director, Peter B. Martin, on or before March 15 or August 15, enclosing a resume or c.v. and explaining briefly the personal background and professional experience that would qualify them for fellowship they have in mind. They should also describe the activities they would like to carry out during two years overseas. This initial letter is followed by a more detailed written application.
- Jack Kent Cooke Graduate Scholarship The Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship Program is open to graduating seniors and recent alumni from any accredited undergraduate institution in the US or abroad. It awards scholarships to cover tuition and fees for the scholar's graduate degree program. Applicants should have a high level of achievement as demonstrated by superior grades, academically rigorous courses, and participation in challenging extracurricular activities, especially those demonstrating leadership potential.
- John T. Petters Scholarship The John T. Petters Foundation is a private foundation working to help advance the educational experience of deserving students by providing college scholarships. The foundation focuses its scholarships to support international business study abroad programs.
- Olive W. Garvey Fellowships The Olive W. Garvey Fellowship awards scholarships to outstanding students around the world based on the value and significance of economic and personal liberty. It is awarded based on an essay in which the topic is changed annually. Applicants can include undergraduates, as well as graduate students under the age of 35, and non-tenured junior faculty members.
- Rotary Foundation Academic - Year Ambassadorial Scholarship This scholarship provides funding for one academic year of study in another country. This award is intended to help cover round-trip transportation, tuition, fees, room and board expenses, and some educational supplies. The purpose of the scholarship is to further international understanding and friendly relations among people of different countries. While abroad, scholars serve as ambassadors of goodwill to the people of the host country and give presentations about their homelands. Upon returning home, scholars share the experiences that led to greater understanding of their host countries. Students may apply through the Long Beach Chapter of Rotary International or the rotary chapter in their hometown.