MCAA Fall 2014 Textbook Information
MCAA 510: Principles of Coaching & Leadership
- Blanchard, K., & Bowles, S. (1993). Raving Fans. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc.
- Ehrmann, J. (2011). Inside Out Coaching. New York: Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Houghton, P.M. & Houghton, T.J. (2007). APA: The Easy Way. 6th Ed. Michigan:
- Martens, R. (2012). Successful Coaching, 4th Ed., Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
MCAA 520: Psychology of Coaching
Williams, J.M. Applied Sport Psychology, 6th Edition, McGraw Hill Publisher.
MCAA 530: Ethics and Sport
- Brown, B. (2003). Teaching character through sport: Developing a positive coaching legacy. Monterey, CA: Coaches Choice.
- Lumpkin, A., Stoll, S. K., & Beller, J.M. (2003). Sport ethics: Applications for fair play. (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Marx, J. (2004). Season of life: A football star, a boy, a journey to manhood. New York: Simon & Schuster.
ISBN 0-7432-0974-8 or ISBN 978-0743269742
Maxwell, J. (2003). Ethics 101. New York: Warner Books.
MCAA 540: Sport Technologies
MCAA 550: Research Methods & Analysis
Gratton, C., and Jones, I. (2004). Research Methods for Sport Studies. London and New York: Routledge (please note: volume 1 or volume 2 is acceptable)
- Houghton, P.M., and Houghton, T., (2005). APA: The easy way. Baker College. Bookstore.
MCAA 560: Leadership & Administration
- Dungy. T. (2010). “THE MENTOR LEADER” Tyndale.
- Gongwer, T. (2010). “LEAD...FOR GOD’S SAKE.” Kardia House.
- Kouzes, J.M., & Posner, B.Z. (2012). “THE LEADERSHIP CHALLENGE”. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
MCAA 561: Athletic Finance
- Financing Sport 3rd Edition (2013), by Dennis R. Howard and John L. Crompton, Fitness Information Technology, 2014, West Virginia University.
MCAA 562: Facility Planning and Event Management
- Managing Sport Facilities, 2nd Edition, Fried, Gil JD
MCAA 567: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Track and Field *Intensive Course
- Reference Reading: Inside Out Coaching by Joel Ehrmann
MCAA 568: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Soccer *Intensive Course
- National Soccer Coaches Association of America (2004.) The Soccer Coaching Bible. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. (Also available online as an e-Book.)
- Anderson, C. & Sally, D. (2013) The Numbers Game—Why Everything You Know About Soccer Is Wrong. New York: Penguin Group.
MCAA 570: Sport Medicine & Performance
- Principles of Athletic Training: A Competency-Based Approach, 15th ed., William Prentice
MCAA 571: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Golf *Intensive Course
- A paperback copy of Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. Copies of this book will be available for purchase at the first class meeting.
- A copy of the Rules of Golf will be provided to each student free of charge
MCAA 573: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Basketball *Intensive Course
- “It’s How You Play the Game”; By Brian Kilmeade. Harper Collins Publisher, 2007
MCAA 574: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Football *Intensive Course
MCAA 575: Advanced Theory and Strategy for Coaching Softball *Intensive Course
- Will include various books and articles provided in class.
MCAA 576: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Volleyball *Intensive Course
MCAA 577: Advanced Theory and Strategy for Baseball *Intensive Course
- “It’s How You Play the Game” Brian Kilmeade, Harper Collins Publisher, 2007.
- Instructor will provide, assign, and recommend additional materials.
MCAA 578: Advanced Theories and Strategies for Coaching Water Polo *Intensive Course
- Instructor will provide, assign, and recommend/supply any additional course materials.
MCAA 579: Advanced Theories and Strategy for Coaching Wrestling *Intensive Course
- "A Saint in the City" by Scott Glabb
- Optional Text: "Coaching the Mental Game" by H.A. Dorfman
MCAA 580: Legal Aspects of Sport
- Law for Recreation and Sport Managers, 6 th Edition. Cotton, D.J. & Wolohan, J.T Kendall, Hunt Publishing: Dubuque, IA.
- Recommended: APA: The Easy Way Second Edition by the Houghtons
MCAA 585: Strength, Speed & Conditioning
- Complete Conditioning for Football by Mike Arthur & Brian Bailey
- Athletic Development: The Art and Science of Functional Sports Conditioning by Vern Gambetta
- Optional Text: Strength Training by Lee Brown
MCAA 590: Coaching Academy
MCAA 591: Athletic Director Institute
MCAA 595: Culminating Project
MCAA 595E: Continuation of Culminating Project