Online Writing Lab (OWL)
Using the OWL is easy:
- Register with our WCOnline schedule. Use your Eagles email address and a password of your choosing.
- Once you are registered, type in your email address and password on the login page. Then, select the “OWL Email Submissions” schedule and click LOG IN.
- Once logged in to the OWL submission schedule, click on an available “appointment box” (available appointment slots are in white). This lets the OWL consultant know the approximate time you submitted your paper for review. You will not actually meet with anyone for an appointment.
- Fill out the submission form.
- At the bottom of the form, attach your paper as a Word document.
- Then, attach the assignment instructions and/or rubric if you have them.
- When you have finished uploading files, click, CREATE APPOINTMENT.
- Double-check the schedule to make sure that your selected “appointment” box is gold (rather than white). You can click on your appointment to modify or cancel it at any time.
- Your consultant will email feedback within 2 business days.
If you run into problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For papers ten pages or less, we promise a turn-a-round time of two business days or less. Longer papers, capstone projects, and thesis chapters may take longer. The best advice is to send your paper in well before the due date so our feedback reaches you in time for you to revise.
Please note: The OWL is closed on Sundays and for all designated holidays.
Concordia students enrolled in an online course, graduate program, dual credit course, or the nursing program can use the OWL to get the help they need to develop their potential as writers. CUI faculty and staff members are also welcome to submit their work for feedback.
An OWL consultant will help you identify revisions that can strengthen your work. As in a face-to-face writing conference our time is limited, so we will not be able to comment on every aspect of your draft in a single review.
The consultant will look at clarity of the main ideas, support and development, organization, and other major concerns first. At the level of sentences and grammar, the consultant will pinpoint the most important or most frequent patterns of error. If you would like help with a specific grammar problem in the paper, be sure to mention it in the email message.
You can expect lots of summary and evaluative comments, particularly about specific questions or concerns you raise, but remember that we don’t proofread a paper for you. Our goal is to help you become a better writer.
Papers up to 10 pages (double spaced) are best suited to email instruction. We occasionally accept longer drafts, but these papers may take longer to respond to.
For these longer projects, please submit one section or chapter at a time. When you send in your first section/chapter, clearly state that it is part of a longer project and include some details about the overall assignment on the submission form. Once you receive feedback on a section or chapter, revise it before you submit the next one. For consistency purposes, we suggest that you submit every new chapter to the same OWL consultant. You can see consultants’ names and the days/times they work when you submit your paper on the OWL schedule.
You can get to know the consultants by reading their bios on the Meet the Staff page.