Description + Regulations
The Dance Competition is conducted with two divisions: “A” and “AAA.” The “A” division is for schools with an enrollment of less than 75 students in 5th-8th grade, and the “AAA” division is for schools with an enrollment of 75 or more students in 5th−8th grade. Squads are comprised of 5th-8th grade students (male or female). The dance competition is only for dance routines. No school may have more than one group competing in this competition. Teams must be duly constituted by their respective school with an advisor in attendance. It is expected that they will have performed at school functions prior to LEST. Team trophies will be awarded to the highest scoring teams. The number of awards will depend on the number of squads in each division. LEST may also provide outstanding performance awards for individual or group demonstrations.
How to Participate
Dance teams must register their team via the Registration Form on the LEST website. A copy of each team’s roster is to be submitted no later than November 30.
The LEST Dance Competition date and time will be emailed and posted by February 1, 2022. It will run in conjunction with the LEST Cheerleading Competition. The Cheerleading Competition will be first, then mats will be removed, and the Dance Competition will go second.
Even though the two competitions are run back to back, they are judged separately and on different criteria. Please pay close attention to the judging forms (available on the LEST website) for the respective competitions. Scoring is based on the fundamental skills listed on the judging forms. The judges scoring criteria will also be available on the LEST website.
In addition, the Dance Team may perform at the half time of their school’s LEST basketball game(s), as desired, and as time allows.
Major Characteristics of the Dance Routines
- The team must consist of 4 or more members. Teams must be duly constituted by their respective school with an advisor in attendance, and it is expected that they will have performed at school functions before LEST.
- Total routine time limit is 5 minutes. Time begins with the first note of music or as soon as the first dancer crosses the court line or the first motion (whichever comes first). Time ends with the last note of music or when all team members have cleared the floor completely (whichever comes last). Teams that exceed the total time limit will receive a 10-point deduction.
- Music is required to be on a CD, thumb drive, cell phone, or MP3 player (not provided). All music must be properly registered on the Dance Registration form listing Song, Artist, Album, and Recording label for each piece of music. This is due to copyright laws. No music with inappropriate language or theme will be allowed.
- Props may be used to compliment the theme of the performance. Please wait until instructed by the “On Deck” monitor to place props, and then do so in a timely manner, so that the event stays on schedule.
- Judges will score teams in the following categories:
- Christian Values
- Judging may begin as soon as the team is asked to ‘take your position.’ Judging must end when the last member crosses the boundary line at the end of the routine. Please see the dance score sheet and Dance Competition rules available on the LEST website for more details.
Judges + Timers
The Judges for the Dance Competition will be seated in the upper center section of the East side of the Gym. Keep this in mind when choreographing your routine.
There will be two timers for this competition. One will be seated with the Judges, and one on or near the floor. In the event that one timer finds a timing violation and the other does not, a time violation will be taken.
Score Sheets + Awards
Teams will receive their score sheets after LEST has concluded. They will be emailed within a few weeks after LEST has concluded. In addition to their own score sheets, they will receive a copy of all score sheets from each team in their division. Team awards will be given out on Sunday at the Closing Ceremony.
LEST will NOT be videotaping the Cheerleading + Dance Competition.