Financial Aid for Continuing Students
The following are steps to be followed to assure that qualified students can be packaged with financial aid. This includes need-based aid and non need-based aid, such as academic scholarships and program scholarships (Athletics, Music, Theatre, etc.)
How to apply?
- Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA Renewal online at www.fafsa.gov.
- Spring 2018 Readmit Students complete 2018-2019 FAFSA.
- Create an FSA ID at www.pin.ed.gov (https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm) (students may link their old PIN to their new FSA ID log in).
- Use school code 013885.
- California Residents Only, complete the CSAC GPA Verification Form (current recipients of a Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B do not need to complete this form. First time Transfer students need to complete the G-6 form to change schools, school code 02070500). Click here for additional renewal Cal Grant information.
Alumni Scholarship for Current Students
The Alumni Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to currently enrolled students with evidence of service and activities that demonstrate how they are becoming wise, honorable and cultivated citizens.
Awarding of Financial Aid
- Academic Scholarships: Students receiving only an academic scholarship and who are not applying for any need-based grants or loans, do not need to complete any financial aid forms. A student needs to maintain the required 2.5 cumulative GPA (Regents, Provost, Dean, Trustee, Phi Theta Kappa) or 3.3 cumulative GPA (Honors) or 3.5 cumulative GPA (Presidential Honors) by the end of the spring semester, and be registered for a minimum of 12 units each semester for the academic scholarship to be automatically renewed. – No Deadline.
- Program Scholarships: Students receiving only departmental scholarships (music, theatre, forensics), church work or athletics and are not applying for need-based grants or loans must only complete the appropriate application with that department and/or sign your agreement, contract or letter of intent. The student must maintain the requirements outlined by each award program. In addition, a student needs to maintain the required 2.0 cumulative GPA by the end of the spring semester, and be registered a minimum of 12 units each semester. – Deadline by program.
- Need-Based Aid: If a student is applying for all of the above, plus need-based grants and loans, MUST complete the FAFSA. If after completing the FAFSA the student is selected for verification, the student must submit all the documents requested by the financial aid office before any financial aid is offered. A student needs to maintain the required 2.0 cumulative GPA by the end of the spring semester, and be registered for a minimum of 12 units each semester. – see Deadlines for Continuing Students.
- If a student completed a FAFSA in the previous year, but does not intend to complete one the following year, the student MUST NOTIFY the Financial Aid Office in writing via eagles email, or fax.
Review Your Financial Aid Award
Once your financial aid package is completed, an Electronic Award notification will be sent to your Eagles email account. To review your award, you must log in to MyRecords using your Student ID number and your MyRecords login PIN*. Once you log in click on My Financial Aid, then My Overall Financial Aid Status then select the applicable academic year. Click on the highlighted Awarded, and then click on the tab Accept Award Offer. Your award will indicate the types and amounts of aid you are eligible to receive. Review your award carefully, click on what you accept and/or decline, then submit. If you are a first time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrower at CUI, you will need to complete Online Entrance Counseling and electronically sign the Loan Agreement(MPN). To learn more about Federal Direct Stafford Loans visit studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans, and information is also provided in your MyRecords account under Special Messages.
*Your temporary PIN is your birthday (MMDDYY). You will be prompted to change your PIN and enter a security question and answer. Your PIN must be exactly 6 characters and may contain both letters and numbers.
Deadlines for Continuing Students
- January 20 - Spring Readmit, FAFSA's received after this date will not be eligible for any need-based institutional aid.
- March 2 – FAFSA Priority deadline for federal and state aid.
- April 1– FAFSA’s received after this date will receive 25% less in need-based institutional aid where appropriate.
- June 1 – FAFSA’s received after this date will receive 50% less in need-based institutional aid where appropriate.
- July 1 – FAFSA’s received after this date will receive 75% less in need-based institutional aid where appropriate.
- August 10 - Final deadline for all financial aid documents. However, additional documents may be requested to complete your financial aid file during the term. All additional documents must be submitted 14 days prior to the close of the term.
- September 1 - FAFSA's received after this date will not be eligible for any need-based institutional aid.