Purpose and Desired Outcomes
Theatre Department Purpose
The Theatre Department helps fulfill the University’s mission by training students to integrate artistic excellence with a Christian world view and by producing theatrically exciting plays that reflect that world view. In doing so, we seek to provide learning opportunities in the fine arts for our students to present high quality entertainment to the people of Orange County.
Theatre Department Desired Outcomes
- Artful Comprehension: Graduates are aware of the elements e.
- Artful Participation: Graduates are skilled in active artistic experiences selected from the dramatic, musical, kinesthetic and visual.
- Artful Sensitivity: Graduates discern emotion and feeling in artistic experience.
- Heritage Consciousness: Graduates are knowledgeable of and sympathetic to significant artistic works of others' past and present in more than one culture.
- Thoughtful Valuing: Graduates discern what is lasting and valuable from that which is ephemeral and trite.
- Articulate Imagination: Graduates use visual, dramatic and aural media descriptively, accurately, precisely, and with imagination.
- Eloquent Engagement: Graduates interact with collegiate peers, mentors and lay people in meaningful discussion of artistic experience.
- Mastery of Form: Graduates use conventional forms of organizing verbal, musical, dramatic and visual insights such as term papers, essays, speeches, dramas, visual objects and performances.
- Theatre as Communication: Graduates understand the use of theatre as a medium of communication and explore their communication through this medium as theatre artists.
- Skill in Scholarship: Graduates discover scholarly resources and related material appropriate to the thought, problem or question.
- Thoughtful Criticism: Graduates reduce a thought to discrete parts while recognizing their relationship to the whole using such rhetorical devices as induction, deduction, syllogism and intuition.
- Rational Balance: Graduates organize the results of such thinking in a sequential and hierarchical manner, balancing detail and generalization.
- Artistic Integrity: Graduates will acquire knowledge and appreciation for Christian values and Biblical principles and seek to incorporate them into their artistic pursuits.
- Theatrical Artistry
- Acting and Directing Emphasis: Graduates are knowledgeable of and gain experience using tools and techniques of acting and directing theatrical art.
- Design and Technical Production Emphasis: Graduates will gain knowledge of and experience using different technical elements that contribute to the theatrical whole.
- History/Literature/Criticism Emphasis: Graduates will gain knowledge of and skill in analysis of the relationship between text and performance.