What are education records?
- Records: handwriting, print, computer, videotape, audiotape, film, microfilm, microfiche or e-mail of an institution that contain information directly related to the student and are maintained by an agency or institution or party acting in its behalf.
- Educational Records include, but are not limited to:
- Financial Aid
- Student Account
- Disciplinary Files (that are not law enforcement records)
Education records do not include
- Records/notes in sole possession of maker not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute
- Medical and Counseling records
- Employment records when employment is not contingent on being a student, provided the record is used only in relation to the individual's employment
- Records created and maintained by a law enforcement unit used only for that purpose, is revealed only to law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction, and the enforcement unit does not have access to education records
- Information on a person that was obtained when no longer a student (i.e., alumni records) and does not relate to the person as a student
Next Page >