If You Are A Victim
(partially taken from http://www.ncvc.org)
The most important single act a victim can engage in immediately is getting to a safe place. A victim should find a place where she or he can feel secure and comfortable; such as a friend or resident advisor's room, the local or campus police, or a public place.
Victims who are injured should seek immediate medical help. Victims should call 911 or have a friend take them to the hospital, Concordia’s Wellness Center, or a private doctor.
Because being a victim can be both physically and psychologically traumatic in the short and long term, many victims seek the support of family, friends or professionals throughout their recovery. Professional assistance or referrals to assistance may be available through the following resources:
- Campus/residence hall staff;
- On/off campus crisis centers;
- School counseling services;
- Victim/witness programs; and/or
- Community mental health agencies.
If you are unsure of where to begin, talk with your RA. While they cannot promise confidentiality, they can provide privacy and can help you get connected to one or more of the offices/agencies listed below.
File a Title IX complaint
If you are the victim of:
Theft – contact Campus Safety: 949-214-3000. An officer will take a report and can connect you with the Irvine Police Department.
Violence– contact 911 if the violence results in needing medical attention; contact Campus Safety: 949-214-3000 after medical assistance has been received. An officer will take a report and can connect you with the Irvine Police Department.
Hazing – contact Campus Safety: 949-214-3000 or your RA.
Sexual Harassment – contact one of Concordia’s designated Sexual Harassment Complaint Resource Officers:
Director of Student Conduct
Office: Administration Bldg, Room 308A
Dr. Gilbert Fugitt
Dean of Students, Title IX Coordinator
Office: Administration Bldg., Room 300 B
Dr. Gary McDaniel
Executive Vice President, Chief Enrollment Officer
Office: Administration Bldg., Room 300 E
Assistant Director of Student Conduct
Office: Administration Bldg, Room 308
Other Sexual Misconduct – contact any of the following University entities for assistance:
- Wellness Center, Michelle Laabs, Director of Health Services: 949-214-3102
- Wellness Center, Rebecca Kindreich, Director of Counseling Services: 949-214-3102
- Office: Sigma Square, Second Floor, Scott Keith, Director of Residential Education Services: 949-214-3046
- Office: Administration Bldg 106, Campus Safety Office, Steven Rodriguez, Director of Campus Safety: 949-214-3003.
Campus Sexual Assault Victim’s Bill of Rights
- Accuser and accused must have the same opportunity to have others present.
- Both parties shall be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
- Survivors shall be informed of their options to notify law enforcement.
- Survivors shall be notified of counseling services.
- Survivors shall be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.
Reporting the Crime to Authorities
Victims are encouraged to report the crime to authorities for many reasons, including:
- Many crime victim compensation programs require immediate reporting to police;
- Statistics show that crimes reported sooner, rather than later, have higher arrest rates; and
- Authorities may be able to direct victims to further assistance.
Please note that although all crime victims are encouraged to report the crime, not everyone will feel comfortable entering the judicial process. The choice about whether or not to report belongs to the victim. Reporting is not required to receive crisis counseling or medical care.
Listed below are some off-campus resources that provide services for victims as they are deciding to report the crime:
- Irvine Police Department – 949-724-7000
- Hoag Hospital Irvine – 16200 Sand Canyon Avenue, Irvine; 949-517-3000
- Kaiser Permanente Hospital – 6640 Alton Parkway, Irvine; 949-932-5000
- Sexual Assault Victim Services for South Orange County – 949-752-1971
- Rape Crisis Hotline –24-Hour Counseling – 714-957-2737 or 949-831-9110