David W. Loy
Assistant Professor of Philosophy , Theology and Ethics
Beta 206D (949)214-3396
- B.A.: Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN
- M.Div. : Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO
- Ph.D.: St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO
- Zion Lutheran Church, Bolivar, MO : Pastor, 2003 - 2011.
- Concordia University, Irvine, CA : Assistant Professor, 2011 - present
Teaching & Research Interests
Ethics, Political Philosophy, Nineteenth -century German Philosophy.
Power and Persuasion in the Church.
- 1 and 2 Kings Leaders Guide Lectures. LifeLight Bible Study series. Concordia Publishing House. Forthcoming.
- Heaven and Hell Leaders Guide. LifeLight Bible Study series. Concordia Publishing House. Forthcoming.
- 1, 2, 3 John Leaders Guide. LifeLight Bible Study series. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2012.
- “Come, Lord Jesus.” Lutheran Witness 130, no. 6/7 (June/July 2011): 14-15.
- “What the Gospel Does: Three Ways of Applying the Gospel Concretely.” Concordia Journal 36, no. 1 (Winter 2010): 21-31.
- “The Great Christmas Wars.” Lutheran Witness 127, no. 12 (December 2008): 8-11.
- Sermon, “A Confessing People: Preached for the Presentation of the Augsburg Confession, June 25, 2006.” Lutheran Forum 41, no. 2 (Pentecost/Summer 2007): 51-53
- Translation, “C. F. W. Walther’s Concept of Missions,” by Volker Stolle. In Missio Apostolica 10, no. 1 (May 2002): 38-40.
- Translation, “Kant’s Idea of Peace and the Philosophic Concept of a World Republic,” by Matthias Lutz-Bachmann. In Perpetual Peace: Essays on Kant’s Cosmopolitan Ideal, ed. James Bohman and Matthias Lutz-Bachmann, 59-77. Cambridge: MIT Press, 1997.