Mark Brighton '81
Professor of Biblical Languages and Literature
Department: Christ College / Theology
Beta 205 D
- Christ College Irvine, CA, B.A., 1981
- Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO, M.Div., 1986
- University of California at Irvine, M.A., 1993; Ph.D. 2005
Biography: Concordia University, 1983-84 and since 1986
- Research: Josephus
- First Century Judea
- The Revelation of John
Professional Experience and Publications
- Revelation. Reformation Heritage Bible Commentary. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2012.
- The Sicarii in Josephus's Judean War: Rhetorical Analysis and Historical Observations. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.
- "Flavian Judea." Pages XX-XX in A Companion to the Flavian Age of Imperial Rome. Edited by Andrew Zissos. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming.
- "The Means of Grace." Pages 69-78 in Learning at the Foot of the Cross: A Lutheran Vision for Education. Edited by Joel D. Heck and Angus J. L. Menuge. Austin: Concordia University Press, 2011.
- "A Comparison of the Literary Conventions in Judith with the Ancient Greek Novel." Pages 163-171 in Hear the Word of Yahweh. Edited by Dean O. Wenthe, Paul L. Schrieber and Lee A. Maxwell. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2002.
- "The Sicarii in Acts: A New Perspective." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 54 (2011): 547-558.
- "The Irony of Masada." The Bible and Interpretation, 2009.http://www.bibleinterp.com/index.shtml
- Bible Studies:
- End Times. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2001.
- An Introductory Course: Mark. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1998.
- Church Year Bible Studies: Series B – Lent-Easter-Ascension-Pentecost. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1996.