Handbells are a unique medium. Many promising ringers have had only large-ensemble experience, but some come with significant solo experience. These guidelines help the candidate demonstrate his/her current level of technique, musicianship, and ability, as well as potential for growth and learning whether or not the candidate has had solo experience.
In person (preferred): Prepare to do the following:
- Play excerpts of your part from one or two pieces you have performed in any handbell ensemble, showing as much as possible of your technical, rhythmic, and musical ability.
- Clap or play a variety of rhythms at sight in various meters.
- Play an excerpt (such as F5-G5 with accidentals) provided by us at the audition, given 2-3 minutes of preparation.
- If possible, and highly recommended: perform one or two solo pieces appropriate to your experience in solo ringing. If not experienced in solo ringing, any simple tune such as a hymn or folk song you can play by ear or from notation would be helpful. "Jesus Loves Me" or "Kum B Yah" are basic examples that would work well. If experienced in solo ringing, present one or two items that represent your current level of skill and musicianship.
If performing a solo piece and need an accompanist, please provide your own accompanist or request one from us at least two weeks before the audition. An accompanist is not required but certainly encouraged as it may be essential to complete performance.
- If you come during a school day and visit one of our handbell rehearsals you may play along with one of Concordia's ensembles.
By video (if the candidate is distant):
Upload your video to a video hosting site (like YouTube) and email the link(s) to [email protected] (do not attach videos to emails).
- two solo and/or ensemble pieces in performance or rehearsal setting with the candidate clearly visible at all times. Some zooming to show both individual and group is helpful.
- a sightreading exercise which can be sent to your director with instructions
- five minutes or so of the candidate rehearsing in a full handbell ensemble or a solo piece
Questions about scheduling your audition? [email protected] | (949)214-3419
For more information: [email protected] | (949)214-3412
Download these Handbell Auditions Procedures (PDF).