We’ve all said it at one time or another, “Everyone is on Facebook so I need to be too.” That's not really an accurate statement though. Using social media as a communication tool requires assessment, planning, goal setting, reporting (analytics), and monitoring. The audience you want to reach may not favor Facebook primarily. Until you align your strategy with your tactics, your efforts may be unfruitful.
In our social media efforts we strive to be credible thought leaders who encourage authentic conversations, promote online visibility, and convert online activities to on-campus participation.
The Social Media Manager is available as a resource, strategist, and promoter of your program’s social media efforts to accomplish those goals.
What Social Media Looks Like at CUI
At CUI we practice the hub and spoke model for social media. This model allows for a centralized position (Social Media Manager) to be cross-functional using Social Media Community Managers to promote CUI’s brand. Social Media Community Managers are staff or faculty members across campus who represent a CUI community using social media. It is their responsibility to manage, engage, promote and advocate their expertise on social media site(s) specifically designed for their department.
For a complete list of Concordia University Irvine's social media accounts, contests, and guidelines, please visit www.cui.edu/socialmedia.
Creating A Social Media Presence
Ready to begin a social media initiative for your department? Here are the key steps of how to get started.
- Review and fill out the Social Media Assessment Worksheet.
- Meet with the Social Media Manager for CUI Social Media Policy training.
- Along with the Social Media Manager create a strategy.
- Follow the social media Guidelines and Best Practices and get started!
Concordia University Irvine prohibits the creation of unofficial social media pages that:
- Appear to represent the university.
- Use the Concordia University Irvine name and/logo or official university images on an unofficial, unapproved page.
- “CUI", “CU Irvine". “ConcordiaIrvine", “Concordia Irvine”, “Concordia University Irvine", “Concordia University, Irvine”, “Concordia University in Irvine”, “Concordia University California”
- Impersonate the university in any way.
If you have questions about social media, submissions, or would like to start your channel, please contact the Social Media Manager, Veronica Steele, at email@example.com. She would be happy to discuss strategies with you. She is very social.