Purpose and Outcomes
Communication Department Purpose
The Communication Department sees its mission as preparing students as leaders in their communities and careers by developing their understanding of communication theory and research methodologies, as well as their proficiency in oral, written and mediated communication. The department offers a varied curriculum that includes both the classical courses associated with the discipline and those that reflect contemporary developments in the field. Courses are designed to prepare students for communication-related professions in such fields as business, industry, public relations, mass media, pre-law, pre-seminary and education.
Communication Department Desired Outcomes
- Know and be able to apply basic communication theories.
- Be able to write grammatically, structurally and mechanically correct pieces.
- Be able to deliver effective verbal and nonverbal audience-centered messages.
- Know the origins and trends of the mass media.
- Be able to demonstrate entry-level computer skills.