Director of Christian Education (DCE) Program
There are few professions on earth that impact society as a whole. Educating young people in the Christian faith is one of those professions. You change lives, bring hope to the hopeless, and reflect the light of Christ to the world. As a Director of Christian Education, you become an important tool in ministry. Concordia University Irvine is here to equip you for that task. Join us in this exciting opportunity to become a Christian leader and make a difference!
What is a Director of Christian Education?
A Director of Christian Education (DCE) is a lifespan educational leader prepared for team ministry in a congregational setting and is certified, called, and commissioned by The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod (LCMS). A DCE, empowered by the Holy Spirit, plans, administers, and assesses ministry that nurtures and equips people in the Body of Christ for spiritual maturity, service and witnessing in their homes, jobs, congregations, communities, and the world.
The purpose of the Director of Christian Education Program is to equip leaders for ministry who are passionate about the Gospel, God’s people and Christ’s Church. Through four years of coursework and one year of internship, students will be prepared to serve effectively in a congregational setting in the following roles:
- Ministry Leader: Heart for full-time service in the church
- Christian Educator: Strong theological base to teach the Bible
- Care Minister: Dynamic character, willing to listen to and care for the needs of others
- Life Span Minister: Compassion for people of all ages and backgrounds
Upon the successful completion of the Christian Education Leadership major and the DCE program requirements and upon recommendation of the faculty, students will:
- Receive certification as a DCE by the LCMS.
- Become eligible to receive a call into full-time service in the church.
Important Values of a DCE
- Exhibits Christian character
- Displays a spiritually-maturing faith grounded in the Scriptures and Lutheran Confessions
- Relates well with people of all ages
- Expresses passion for teaching and learning
- Possesses a servant heart
- Manages personal and professional life effectively
- Seeks to work in team relationships
- Strives for excellence
- Operates in a self-directed manner
- Encourages and equips future leaders
If you have any questions about the DCE Program, please contact the Director, Dr. Dave Rueter '96, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (949) 214-3409. You can also contact the co-director, Prof. Rebecca Duport '98 at email@example.com or (949) 214-3621.