Ensembles that Utilize Percussion
Concordia is a vibrant place for percussionists!
Concordia Wind Orchestra - 6-7 percussionists are utilized in this group, which is the major instrumental ensemble at Concordia.
Concordia Sinfonietta - This orchestra plays from standard symphonic repertoire and often utilizes percussionists.
Percussion Ensemble - Percussionists in Wind Orchestra, as well as additional students who play other instruments but double on percussion, participate in the Percussion Ensemble. The group rehearses one evening per week and gives a concert at the end of each semester.
Concordia's choirs and the Concordia Brass often program music accompanied by percussion instruments.
Drumset players have many options:
- Commercial Music Ensemble
- Abbey West Worship Bands
- Jazz Combo
All concert percussionists can study privately with one of Southern
California's most respected percussion teachers, Bill Schlitt. In addition, Concordia offers drum set lessons by Mark Converse.
HANDBELLS are also percussion instruments and Concordia is a national leader in handbell performance and leadership development. Many of our percussionists enhance their craft by playing handbells, and often handbells program music that includes other percussion.
Percussion Instruments at Concordia
As a percussionist, you can't really bring your instruments to college with you! You must count on the university to provide quality instruments for you to play artistically. This often is a challenge at small universities. Concordia, however, has invested significantly in percussion. Here, you will have very fine instruments to play. We have a full set of new percussion instruments, and all are top-of-the-line symphonic instruments:
- 5-octave Adams Artist Series rosewood marimba and a 4-octave Adams Artist Series rosewood xylophone
- an extensive collection of Yamaha's top-model vibraphone, orchestra chimes, orchestra bells, tambourine, concert snare drum, bass drums (40" and 36"), triangles, and concert toms.
- Black Swamp woodblocks, temple blocks, and field drum
- Zildjian cymbals and crotales
- a wide collection of latin percussion and toy percussion
- a large mallet and beater inventory