Handbells are a unique musical medium. Prospective Concordia ringers come with a wide range of abilities, experience and training. Most come with large-ensemble experience, while some come with significant solo experience.
The audition process helps assess a candidate’s current level of technique, musicianship, and ability, as well as potential for growth and learning whatever the level of experience.
Of course, the more evidence of experience and competence, the more likely and the more substantial the scholarship aid will be.
To arrange an audition
Email: Music Office
or for other questions about the handbell program please contact:
| For handbell information: CUIhandbells@icloud.com
: (949) 214-3419
: The Music Department, Concordia University, 1530 Concordia West, Irvine, CA 92612
In person (preferred):
We would be pleased if you would also observe and even participate in a rehearsal when you come.
Your private audition will as much as possible of the following (* indicates required exercises):
- *Clap or play a variety of rhythms at sight in various meters from simple to complex.
- *From a short musical excerpt provided, figure out and play a part (such as F5-G5 with
accidentals), with 2-3 minutes of preparation.
- Bring at least one, preferably two pieces you have played with a handbell ensemble and play excerpts of your part that show your level of experience and a range of technique and expression.
- Perform, if it all possible, one or two solo pieces appropriate to your experience in solo ringing.
If not experienced in solo ringing, any simple tune such as a hymn or folk song you can play
by ear or from notation would be acceptable. “Jesus Loves Me” or “Amazing Grace” or “Kum Ba
Yah” are two examples of basic tunes that could work well if you have not done this before.
If you are experienced in solo ringing, play one or two items that represent your current level
of skill and musicianship.
If performing a solo piece, please provide your own
accompanist or request one when you arrange for the audition. An accompanist is not required but
By video (if the candidate cannot visit the campus):
Video-record as follows, then upload to Youtube, DropBox or other commonly used internet service and send us a link, or send a DVD. Clearly include your name, address, contact information (phone and/or email address) and list of contents. Send all material and links to CUIhandbells@icloud.com.
Your recorded audition should include the following:
- Rehearsal or performance of two well-prepared selections of full ensemble, small ensemble,
and/or solo with the candidate clearly visible at all times. Some zooming to show both individual and
group is helpful.
- A sightreading exercise. This material will be provided to your coach, handbell director or other trusted musical adult who can assist you. Send this person's email or mail information with your application or direct to CUIhandbells@icloud.com
Questions about scheduling your audition? email@example.com | (949)214-3419
For more information: CUIhandbells@icloud.com | (949)214-3412
Download these Handbell Auditions Procedures (PDF).