All band/orchestral instrumentalists are placed in Concordia Sinfonietta and/or Concordia Wind Orchestra. Both ensembles use controlled instrumentation. We encourage you to audition on your primary instrument, but please also let us know if you play secondary instruments. Placement and scholarship allotment are influenced by the level of need in each section. Versatility, as well as performance excellence, will help you to receive the highest scholarship offer possible. These guidelines help to assess the candidate's current level of technique, musicianship, and ability, as well as potential for growth.
For more insight about what the audition adjudicator is listening for, read Professor Held's blog.
In person (preferred):
- Play a 4-minute solo (accompanied preferred) or etude. If your prepared solo has an accompaniment, please bring it and we will usually be able to provide an accompanist.
- Play assigned excerpts (below). These should be prepared in advance.
- The audition will conclude with a brief interview.
You are welcome to join the Concordia Wind Orchestra in rehearsal. The ensemble rehearses on Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30-5:15. Email email@example.com in advance.
By video (if the candidate is distant):
Upload your video to a video hosting site (like YouTube) and email the link(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org (do not attach videos to emails).
- Play a 4-minute solo (accompanied preferred) or etude.
- Play assigned excerpts (below).
- Please introduce yourself and let us know why you are interested in Concordia, what your goals are, why you enjoy playing music, etc.
Questions about scheduling your audition? email@example.com (949)214-3419
For instrumental music information: firstname.lastname@example.org (949)214-3420
Flute & Piccolo