Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew
The Rev. Dr. Scott A. Ashmon, Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew in Christ College, is the author of the article "The Wrath of God: A Biblical Overview," the co-author of another article entitled "'Give Me Children, or I Will Die': Procreation Is God's Work" with The Rev. Dr. Robert Weise of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, and a book reviewer for the Concordia Journal.
Professor of Biblical Languages/Theology
Concordia University Irvine, 1983-84 and since 1986.
- University of California at Irvine, M.A., 1993; Ph.D. 2005
- Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO, M.Div., 1986
- Christ College Irvine, CA, B.A., 1981
- Research: Josephus
- First Century Judea
- The Revelation of John
- Revelation. Reformation Heritage Bible Commentary. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2012.
- The Sicarii in Josephus's Judean War: Rhetorical Analysis and Historical Observations. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2009.
- "Flavian Judea." Pages XX-XX in A Companion to the Flavian Age of Imperial Rome. Edited by Andrew Zissos. West Sussex: Wiley-Blackwell, forthcoming.
- "The Means of Grace." Pages 69-78 in Learning at the Foot of the Cross: A Lutheran Vision for Education. Edited by Joel D. Heck and Angus J. L. Menuge. Austin: Concordia University Press, 2011.
- "A Comparison of the Literary Conventions in Judith with the Ancient Greek Novel." Pages 163-171 in Hear the Word of Yahweh. Edited by Dean O. Wenthe, Paul L. Schrieber and Lee A. Maxwell. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2002.
- "The Sicarii in Acts: A New Perspective." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 54 (2011): 547-558.
- "The Irony of Masada." The Bible and Interpretation, 2009.
- End Times. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 2001.
- An Introductory Course: Mark. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1998.
- Church Year Bible Studies: Series B – Lent-Easter-Ascension-Pentecost. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1996.
Professor of Theology
Hi! My name is Mike Middendorf, a Professor of Theology. I am privileged to teach a wide of variety of courses related to the Bible (e.g. Old and New Testament, Greek and Hebrew, and many more!). It is a great opportunity to lead classes on three levels at one University! My favorite group to work with is our undergraduate students, but I also get to teach courses in the Master of Arts program and to seminarians studying here for many types of ethnic ministry. My home state is Minnesota and my college is a sister school of Concordia Irvine, located in St. Paul, MN. After completing my pastor’s degree and a doctorate at Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, I was a parish pastor at Concordia Lutheran Church in Jamestown, ND. Then I served as professor for 9 years at another sister Concordia, in Austin, TX, before coming to Irvine. Is that enough Concordia’s for you? Well, yet another Concordia, Concordia Publishing House published my doctoral dissertation in 1997. It is titled The ‘I’ in the Storm: A Study of Romans 7. During the 2003-04 school year I was honored to be named Irvine’s Trembath Professor. In that role I co-authored a New Testament textbook for university students. During the summer of 2003, it was also a joy to work on an archaeology dig at Hippos, near the Sea of Galilee in Israel. After all those Concordias, I should point out that “Concordia” is from two Latin words which literally mean “with heart.” That is one phrase which I strive to have as a characteristic of my teaching ministry. “Concordia” is often translated “harmony.” Since coming to Concordia in 2001, I have really found that to be an outstanding description of the Christian community here.
- Concordia Seminary, St. Louis, MO, M.Div., 1987; S.T.M., 1989; Ph.D., 1990
- Concordia College, St. Paul, MN, B.A., 1981
- Concordia University Irvine since 2001
- Concordia University, Austin, TX, 1992-2000
- Dr. Mike Middendorf's dissertation, The “I” in the Storm: A Study of Romans 7, has been published (Concordia, 1997).
- A university-level New Testament textbook he co-authored was also recently released (Called by the Gospel, Wipf and Stock, 2007).
- Dr. Middendorf serves on the Commission on Theology and Church Relations of the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.