M.A. International Studies: Africa
With six of the world’s ten fastest growing economies over the next five years, Africa provides the perfect landscape for your pursuit of international studies. Concordia University Irvine's MAIS Africa graduate program will allow you to experience and study firsthand the economic, social, cultural, and educational forces that are shaping our world.
- Yearlong, full immersion program. Concordia University Irvine is one of the only American universities to offer a field-based Master of Arts in International Studies (MAIS) degree in Africa. Your first semester will begin in the fall at our beautiful campus in Southern California, which will prepare you for leaving for Africa for your spring and summer semesters.
- Individualized studies and experiences. You can choose to study and focus your experience in one of the following concentrations: International Development, International Business, Global Public Health, or International Education. The program is four semesters in length, comprised of 38 units, and culminates in a master's thesis, which you can choose to complete in Africa or the US.
- Internships to match your goals. Based on your chosen area of emphasis, you will be able to select the type of internship that will match your professional goals. Our internship program is flexible and open-ended, with numerous opportunities to work with NGOs, business, international aid agencies, and other community service providers.
- Faculty who have firsthand experience in Africa. You will learn from professors who are not only qualified with deep experience in the content area related to Africa, but who have lived in Africa and understand the continent’s cultural complexity. Student-to-faculty ratio never exceeds 20:1, ensuring that you will receive the attention necessary for an academically strong experience in Africa.
- Preparation for a globally-focused job market. This program will provide the foundation you need to become part of productive solutions to challenges in our culturally diverse world, whether in your home community or abroad. Your options for occupational fields and career destinations with a Master's in International Studies are limitless.
- Accredited university with an international community. Concordia University is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and a USNews Top Tier Regional University. Preparing students to be global citizens through our academic offerings is a fulfillment of our identity as a Lutheran, Christian liberal arts university. Our MAIS China program, established in 2005, is just one other example of our commitment and success in providing international student experiences.
For more information about the MAIS Africa program at Concordia University Irvine, please fill out our inquiry form or contact our admissions counselor, Taylor Sirna, at (949) 214-3615 or email@example.com.
Concordia University is actively working with the Department of Homeland
Security to provide student visas for international students seeking to
join our Master of International Studies Africa (MAIS Africa) program.
Approval is pending and international students may be eligible for the MAIS
Africa program in Fall 2017. Please check back for updates.