Pre-Seminary Studies Program
The Pre-Seminary Studies Program furnishes students with the academic training essential not only for successful entrance into a seminary but also for a successful ministry. The program is structured to encourage measured personal and spiritual growth in pastoral attitudes, habits and skills and offers a cross-cultural experience. Upon successful completion of the program, students are prepared to enter a seminary to continue their study that normally includes three additional years of academic work and one year of vicarage. Entrance requirements will vary from seminary to seminary, but normally a bachelor's degree and proficiency in the biblical languages of Greek and Hebrew are required of all who desire admission to a seminary. Seminaries generally also require personal references and recommendations.
General admission to the university does not constitute admission to the Pre-Seminary Studies Program. Students are advised to consult the director of the Pre-Seminary Studies Program for specific requirements and procedures for admission.
Pre-Seminary Studies Program Requirements
- General Education: (54-55 units)
- Normally completed during the first two years of attendance.
Christ College Certificate Requirements (21 units)
Additional Pre-Seminary Course Requirements: (24 units)
- Completion of any approved major.
- CPHI 101: Introduction to Philosophy or PHI 201: Critical Thinking (3 units)
- CPHI 200: Introduction to Philosophical Inquiry (3 units)
- GRE 101: Greek 1 (4 units)
- GRE 102: Greek 2 (4 units)
- HEB 101: Hebrew 1 (4 units)
- HEB 102: Hebrew 2 (4 units)
- THL 465: Christians and Ethics (3 units)
- Highly Recommended:
- ARA 301: Aramaic (3 units)
- CED 487: Parish Program Leadership (3 units)
- CED 488: Family Ministry (3 units)
- CED 489: Adult Education in the Parish (3 units)
- GRE 211: Reading in Luke and Acts (3 units)
- GRE 341: Johannine Literature (3 units)
- GRE 451: Pauline Literature (3 units)
- HEB 201: Readings in the Hebrew Bible (3 units)
- PHI 211: Philosophical Ethics (3 units)
- PSY 466: Principles of Counseling (3 units)
- THL 222: Christian Witness and Evangelism (1 unit)
- THL 430: Christian Apologetics (3 units)
- All students in the program are required to meet with the director of the Pre-Seminary Studies Program annually to discuss their personal, professional, intellectual and spiritual growth for the pastoral ministry.
For more information regarding the Pre-Seminary Studies Program, please contact the Director, Rev. Quinton Anderson.