F-1 Students: An Overview
It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the immigration requirements related to your status. Following the guidelines below will help you maintain valid F-1 immigration status. If you have specific questions about your status, you can schedule an appointment to meet with your PDSO.
- Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months into the future.
- Keep your local address updated.
- Maintain full-time enrollment.
- Undergraduate - Minimum 12 units/semester
- Graduate - Minimum 6 units/semester
- Get PDSO approval before a withdrawal from CUI.
- Attend the school noted on your I-20.
- Keep your I-20 valid at all times.
- Get a travel signature.
- On-campus employment - Limit employment to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Employment on campus may be full-time in the summer and vacation periods.
- Off-campus employment - Do not work off campus without permission. Work permission for F-1 students must be requested and approved by school DSO/PDSO and the USCIS.