Master of Arts in Theology
Pursue advanced theological study for academic, professional, or personal development at Concordia University Irvine’s Master of Arts (MA) in Theology program. A confessional, orthodox, and missional university, we take seriously the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Christian faithfulness without compromising academic integrity. Every graduate theology program teaches from a certain perspective. Ours is a biblical one.
- Solid curricular foundation with specific applications. The core of the MA Theology curriculum will equip you with a solid foundation in research skills and the major divisions of theology. This is supplemented with customizable emphases, electives, guided readings, and thesis research to meet your particular needs and interests. We also offer a rotating schedule of topic specific cohorts (such as Youth Ministry or Apologetics). In all of this, you will be equipped with modern research tools, including your own personal copy of Logos Bible Software® (Bronze package; retail value over $600) and access to our library of 77,000 books, hundreds of journals, and thousands of e-books.
- Committed faculty of scholar-teachers. You will be taught and mentored by professors who are committed to faithful biblical teaching, to the historical Christian faith, to life in Christ’s Church, and to the life of the intellect. Our professors strive to achieve faithful excellence in church and society and to cultivate these values in their students. Every faculty member is published, and all of them have practical ministry experience––many in cross-cultural settings. With class sizes typically ranging from 10-20 students, you will have the opportunity to intimately study theology in a community of scholars. Your professors are available to you and they are committed to your development.
- Real-time online and face-to-face instruction. The majority of our courses are delivered in a live, real-time online format, enabling you to enroll in the program without relocating. Classes meet in technologically enhanced classrooms featuring smart boards and data projection, enhanced microphones, and acoustical conditioning to better facilitate interaction of classroom participants with distance participants.
- Convenient scheduling with on-campus summer intensives. The MA in Theology is structured as a part-time program, with evening classes scheduled on consistent days of the week for greater convenience and access. You have the flexibility to start your classes in any term, including summer. Summer courses are taught on campus in nine-day intensive formats, enabling our distance students to spend time on our beautiful campus for shorter experiences. Students find this personal contact, both with faculty and with their fellow students, to be a distinct benefit, as our Southern California location provides an excellent and diverse context for theological studies.
- Reasonably sized program. Designed as a Master of Arts program, not patterned after a seminary’s Master of Divinity (M.Div.) curriculum which includes additional professional training, our MA in Theology is a 32-unit degree, similar to most other academic masters degree programs. You will still be well grounded in theology, but you are able to earn your degree more quickly and more economically than in other programs with higher unit counts.
- No specific major or GRE requirement. We believe that your aptitude for graduate-level study can be determined without the need for a more general examination. Therefore, our program does not require the GRE for admission. We also do not require a specific undergraduate major in theology or religious studies. In fact, we appreciate the engagement of theology with other topics and fields. All that is necessary is completion of a Bachelor’s degree with grades that are indicative of likely success in graduate school. If you have a limited academic background in theology, we will work with you by providing additional guided readings to help prepare you for a more successful and satisfying experience.
- Open to qualified students of all religious affiliations. Regardless of your background and religious affiliation, you will be welcomed, respected, and challenged to think, reflect, and learn in our program. You may pursue this degree as a part of preparation for doctoral studies, to equip yourself with skills for ministry, to enhance your ministerial skills and aptitudes, for a liberal arts preparation for a variety of fields, or to deeply pursue theological questions of personal interest. Students from a wide variety of Christian denominations have thrived in our graduate programs, going on to PhD’s and professorships in top universities, publishing books, and successfully serving in ministry.
For more information about the MA in Theology at Concordia University Irvine, please fill out our inquiry form or contact Carrie Donohoe, Christ College Program Coordinator, at email@example.com or (949) 214-3389.