Pre-Departure Self-Orientation Worksheet
Finding the answers to these questions will take time and work. Start your research as soon as possible and use all of your resources: study abroad orientations, past program participants, your study abroad advisor, the internet, campus and local libraries, guidebooks, and other links on this website.
Registration and Classes
- What school will you be attending?
- When does the academic term begin?
- When do classes start?
- When do classes end?
- When are final exams scheduled and when are final papers due?
- How do you register at Concordia University Irvine for your term abroad?
- How will you get the courses you want to take abroad approved for Concordia University Irvine credit?
- If you decide to take different classes once you’re abroad, how do you get them approved for Concordia University Irvine credit?
- How much will your program cost?
- How will you pay for it?
- If you will be applying for financial aid, have you taken a budget to the Financial Aid Office?
- How much money will you take?
- In what form will you take the money? (Ex: U.S. or foreign currency, traveler’s checks, credit cards)
- How will you carry your money?
- How will you get additional money if needed?
- What health risks are present in your host country?
- Do you need to get inoculations before you leave? (Check the Centers for Disease Control.)
- Will you need any prescription medications while you are abroad?
- If yes, do you have enough of the medications to last you the entire time abroad?
- Will your insurance cover any instances directly or will you need to get reimbursed?
- Who will you contact if you have questions regarding insurance while abroad?
- If you wear eyeglasses or contacts, do you know your prescription?
- Can you take an extra pair of glasses with you?
Host Institution and Country
- Where would you like to visit while you are abroad? (i.e., adjacent countries, different parts of your host country)
- Will you need any other visas where you want to travel?
- If so, how will you get the visas?
- Do you have a guidebook about your host country? If not, consider investing in one (e.g. Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Let’s Go).
- What specifically will you pack? (Create a list and then revise if needed.)
- Could you carry this luggage by yourself if you needed to walk 10 blocks with it?
- Should you take appliances, or can you buy them overseas?
- If you are taking appliances, do you have the appropriate converters for the country?
Staying in Touch
- How will your parents and friends contact you?
- Do they know your phone number and how to dial it?
- Do you have the phone numbers/e-mail addresses you will need or want during your time abroad?